Ms. Lauren's Class : December
December 2nd-20th 2019
We hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving! The children had fun learning about Thanksgiving, our turkey songs and making our pudding for our “pumpkin pie” cups.
For the month of December our theme will be Holidays. We will be learning about Hanukkah, Christmas and The GingerBread Man
We will be talking about how we celebrate the different holidays. For Hanukkah we will discuss menorahs and dreidels. We will practice spinning dreidels and making potato latkes and taste them. When we discuss Christmas, we will talk about Christmas trees, Santa, ornaments and sing Christmas songs. Our last week will be The Gingerbread Man and we will read the story, decorate gingerbread houses and make paper gingerbread man. Our Holiday party with the parents will be on Wednesday December 18th from 2:30-3:30 and we will have a sing-a-long and decorate gingerbread houses.
Vocabulary words we are using:
· Hanukkah, menorah, dreidels, latkes, presents, gelt
· Christmas, Santa, ornaments, Christmas tree, presents, star, stocking
· Gingerbread man, brown, cookie, bake, decorate, candy, houses
· Wednesday music, gym time and yoga
· The students will imitate running in place to the Gingerbread Man story
· Holiday obstacle course and yoga with Carolyn (OT)
We are reading:
· Happy Hanukkah Corduroy By: Don Freeman
· Merry Christmas Mouse! By: Laura Numeroff
· The Gingerbread Man
· The students will make a large picture of a dreidel as a group with Carolyn and paint handprint menorahs individually
· The students will paint a large Christmas tree as a group, make ornaments and a special Christmas keepsake.
· The students will decorate a paper gingerbread man and make gingerbread prints with cookie cutters
We are singing:
· Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidal
Dreidel. Dreidel, dreidel
I made it out of clay,
And when it’s dry and ready,
Oh dreidel I will play
· Jingle Bells
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh, hey!
· The Five Yummy Gingerbread Poem
5 yummy gingerbread, Sitting on a plate,
The first one said, “Boy I smell great!”
The second one said, “There’s a chill in the air.”
The third one said, “I see hungry children everywhere!”
The forth one said, “I think we better run!”
The fifth one said, “Here the children come!”
Then the children each grabbed one
And with a MUNCH, CRUNCH, MUNCH!
The five yummy gingerbreads all turned into lunch!
We are cooking/eating:
· Potato Latkes
· Taste or make gingerbread cookies
· Oatmeal and different holiday spices in the sensory table, spinning dreidels and playdough at the table with holiday cookie cutters.
You can follow through with this theme at home by-
· Reading Hanukkah, Christmas and Gingerbread books at home
· Using vocabulary words listed above
· Sing holiday songs
· Involving your child in making gingerbread cookies, Christmas cookies and or potato latkes at home (e.g. mixing , scooping, rolling)
· With the cold weather please be sure to dress your child to go outside.
We try to get out as much as we can.
Save the Date: Holiday Party- Wednesday December 20th from 2:30pm-3:30 for a sing-a-long and decorating Gingerbread houses. We look forward to seeing you there!
School is closed for the Holiday break Monday December 23th thru Wednesday January 1st.
· School Resumes on Thursday January 2nd 2020.
We wish you the happiest of holidays and a joyous New Year!
Ms. Lauren, Head Teacher