Ms. Lauren's Class : January
Happy New Year! We hope everyone had a wonderful and blessed Holiday Season!
The children had fun learning about all the holidays and fun activities in December.
This week our theme will be snow and winter clothing!
We will be talking about the weather in the winter how it is cold and it snows. Also what clothing we wear when it is cold outside and practice putting on out coats, hats and mittens and looking at ourselves in a mirror. We will make a winter hat, mittens and a collage of different clothing. We will also have a pretend snowball fight with fake snowballs and taste hot (warm) chocolate with marshmallows.
Vocabulary words we are using:
· Winter, cold, jacket, hat, scarf, mittens, pants, zipper, boots, sled, mommy, hot coco, cookies, marshmallows
· Wednesday music, gym time and yoga
· The students will practice throwing fake snowballs
· Winter yoga with Carolyn (OT)
We are reading:
· The Jacket I Wear in the Snow By: Shirley Neitzel
· Baby Loves Winter By: Laura Karen Katz
· The Mitten By: Jan Brett
· The students will make a winter hat and mittens individually
· The students will glue different winter clothing to paper to make a collage
We are singing:
· I’m a Little Snowman (To the tune of “I’m a Little Teapot”)
I’M a little Snowman,
Short and fat
Here is my Broom
Here is my hat
When it’s cold and icy.
I will stay,
But when it gets all hot
I melt away!
We are cooking/eating:
· Hot chocolate with marshmallows and cookies
· Exploring with fake snowballs and real or fake snow or ice cubes
You can follow through with this theme at home by-
· Read the story, The Jacket I Wear in the Snow or other winter stories at home
· Using vocabulary words listed above
· Sing song above or other winter rhymes or songs
· Make hot chocolate after a walk in the cold
· With the cold weather please be sure to dress your child to go outside. We try to get out as much as we can.
· Check backpack and notebooks for notices and notes
· Label all clothing
· School picture day is Wednesday January 15th
· Visit from the Dental Hygienist is on Wednesday January 8th
Have a good week!
Ms. Lauren, Head Teacher